Saturday, April 15, 2006

Great Moments in Stupidity

I follow important stuff like American politics and Britney Federline pretty closely, so I have a highly developed ear for stupidity, but sometimes something comes along that just makes you sit up and say, "Wow!"

First a little background. Now that we're firmly ensconced in the 21st Century, my adoptive home state of Indiana has finally decided to join the 20th and start observing Daylight Savings Time. Up until a few weeks ago, we would effectively switch back and forth between Eastern and Central time every year as those regions sprang forward or fell back while Indiana (ok, most of Indiana) obstinately held on to Eastern Standard Time. Now we're just the extreme western edge of the Eastern Time Zone.

Yesterday evening I was following the outbreak of some nasty weather on Indianapolis' Channel 8 when I heard the weatherman say this:
We're at a higher risk for tornadoes here in Indiana now that we're on Daylight Savings Time. The extra hour of sunlight means another hour of warmer temperatures, giving tornadoes more of a chance to develop.
Stop and think about that for minute. To paraphrase Slim Pickens, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of speakers. Nature doesn't give a damn how we set our clocks. Observing DST doesn't actually give us an extra hour of sunlight, we just wake up an hour earlier so it seems that way.

From now on I'm just going to keep my eyes and ears peeled for tornadoes and I'm going to turn the TV off before it kills any more of my brain cells.
Listed on BlogShares