Friday, May 26, 2006

Bozell Makes Sense For a Change

L. Brent Bozell III, founder of the right-wing media watchdog Parents Television Council, has written a new article called "Too Much TV for Tots?"

In it, he details a new study that shows that a ridiculously large number of kids age 6 months to 6 years spend tons of time unsupervised in front of the TV. When I started reading, my first thought was, "uh-oh, this is where Bozell says all television must now be suitable 6-month-olds!" I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong:
Regardless of what self-interested TV titans tell parents, there is no V-chip or any other artificial, technological solution to keep your children's television intake safe and reasonable. The solution is human, not technological. It's parental engagement.
That's exactly right! It's just too bad that Bozell doesn't apply this undeniable logic across the board when he goes off trying to get my favorite shows cancelled. Parents are responsible for their kids. Just because there are tons of bad parents out there shouldn't mean the kind of reprehensible crap I like to watch should be bullied off the air. I'm thinking of forming the Television-Watchers Parents Council, which would be a watchdog group dedicated to making sure lazy parents don't foul things up for the rest of us.
Listed on BlogShares