Friday, July 28, 2006

Crocodile Tears

I was tuned into Rush Limbaugh yesterday and I heard one of the most unpleasant things I've ever heard on his program. He was talking about the Washington State court ruling that upheld the state's ban on gay marriage. After reading a surprised and gleeful statement from a right-wing Christian group opposed to same-sex marriage, he turned to a statement from the other side that talked about the bitter disappointment and heartbreak the decision caused to gay couples.

In the middle of reading the statement, Rush pretends to start crying before breaking into an evil snicker. Now, I know Rush does this kind of thing all the time, but I couldn't help being taken aback by how mean-spirited he was. Here's a guy actually mocking people who have just learned that according to the state, their relationships have no value (either spiritually, legally or practically). Just think of the hate that lurks in the heart of a man who would take pleasure in that, or in the many, many people who agree with him.

I thought to myself, What would Rush do if the situation were reversed? And it occurred to me, there is no opposite situation. Gay marriage gets struck down and there are real victims. Gay marriage gets upheld or allowed, and no one is hurt. No straight marriage becomes invalid, no civil rights are ignored, nothing. There is no legitimate pain or suffering that would follow from the legalization of gay marriage. The heartbreak and injustice on the other side, despite Limbaugh's crocodile tears, is absolutely real.
Listed on BlogShares