Monday, September 04, 2006

Art That's, Like, Hot

My new favorite artist is named Banksy (you heard me, Vincent Gallo). He's a self-styled "guerrilla graffiti" artist who has put 500 doctored versions of Paris Hilton's new CD in record stores around Britain.

Banksy's cover features a digitally altered photo of Paris topless. I know. Where did he ever find a picture of her boobs? I guess part of art is the mystery. The song titles on the back cover have been replaced with "Why am I famous?", "What have I done?" and "What am I for?"

The best part is that Banksy has replaced the original CD with his own composition, featuring "40 minutes of a basic rhythm track over which Banksy has dubbed Ms Hilton's catchphrase 'That's hot!' and other extracts from her reality TV programme The Simple Life."

Brilliant. This is even better than Daniel Edwards' masterpiece Suri Cruise's First Poop (which the AFP archly described as "more doodoo than Dada").

One bright note for Hilton: this stunt will undoubtedly spike sales numbers for her less than commercially impressive debut. And that would be hot.

Update: Robert Sharl has a Flicker photoset of all of Banksy's 'improvements'.
Listed on BlogShares