Friday, September 01, 2006

Thanks for the Meme-ories!

Beep Beep tagged me for the "Book Meme". Even though I think "meme" is the most annoying word since "trope", I'll give it a go.

A book that changed my life
Honestly, The Hardy Boys 1-110 changed my life because that's where my love of reading was born. Plus, who doesn't love Chet?

A book I've read more than once
I've read Catch-22 probably half a dozen times, and 1984 at least that many. Cheery stuff, no?

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island
The Collected Works of William Shakespeare, or maybe How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. Each one definitive in its own way, and either could also be used as a weapon.

A book that made me laugh
The No Spin Zone by Bill O'Reilly is pretty hilarious, but I don't think that's the point of the question. I would say Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, for sentences like this: "The ships hung in the air in much the same way that bricks don't."

A book that made me cry
Going Places by E.D. Hill

A book that I wish had been written
Chicken Soup for the Death Row-Convicted Soul

A book I wish had never been written
I could say the Bible, but I'm less concerned with it having been written than by the fact that it's so widely (mis)read. So that leaves anything by David Eggers or David Foster Wallace. I think Ethan Hawke wrote a novel, too. Also, Mein Kampf kind of sucked.

A book I've been meaning to read
Seeing by Jose Saramago, the 'sequel' to Blindness

I'm currently reading
I Hate Myself and I Want to Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard by Tom Reynolds

There, that was fun. Now I'm supposed to tag five other bloggers. Here are the chosen ones:

Circle Jerk at the Square Dance
The Truffle
Ignorant Hussy
The Center for Random Rantage
Left-Wing Nutjob
Listed on BlogShares